Pages

Friday 15 June 2012

Rummage for Vintage




Howdy.

Last weekend I took a trip 'home' to the north-west with my man to visit the photographer we were looking to, and now have, booked for our wedding - exciting times! While we were there my dad had found out that there was a vintage fair on at St George's Hall in Liverpool, and my Ma & Pa had done some research and took us both, which was lovely.

I've only been to St George's Hall once before, and that was about seven years ago, when I attended a fashion show. I forgot how beautiful this neo-classical building is. Although the hall has been used for many things throughout its time, including as law courts, now the building is used for all sorts of events and functions...including fairs. This Vintage Textile and Homeware fair was organised by Decorative Fairs, who hold similar events across the north-west.

On the whole fairs of this sort can be a bit hit and miss, I've been to some so called 'vintage fairs' and rummaged to find Primark, New Look and Asda clothing, so I was pleasantly surprised when we visited St George's. There were about 50 stalls, nearly all fashion (much to my dad & BF's dismay), much to my, and mum's, delight! We spent a good hour rummaging, trying-on and browsing before we took a break to go to the pub for lunch. The weather was miserable so the boys stayed for another pint while us ladies headed back to the hall to finish our shopping. In this time I think we must have missed the performance from the Sequin Sister, a 'wartime era' vocal group, which is a shame, as I saw them wandering around the stalls and they looked very glam!

I think I was a bit fazed by all the goodies on offer, because I got to the last stall and still hadn't bought anything. There were some really beautiful things, and at a range of prices. I went for a second look, and after a quick try-on, bought a couple of gorgeous items all from one particularly good stall.

Here is a sneak-peek at what I bought - a fab 70s jumpsuit for £18. This is in really good condition, and despite the fact my dad describing me as looking like a Kwik-Fit-Fitter in it (cheers), it fits me really well. I have several playsuits, but never a jumpsuit before as lots of modern ones have narrow legs - not good for the pear-shaped like me - but this one does not, score!

I also bought this very 80s shirt for £10. It is pure silk and long enough to wear over leggings, Jessie J-stylie. The lovely lady on the stall also threw in a free silky scarf each for me and Ma, so happy days.

So it was definitely worth a visit and I'd recommend Decorative Fair's events to anyone. They are certainly on my 'watch' list for the future.

That is it from me tonight. I have some more 'What I Wore' posts coming up soon, as I realised I've hardly posted my outfits in recent months! Naughty! Expect to see these new purchases making an appearance very soon.

Can anyone else recommend any good vintage fairs? Anyone been to one by this company?


P.S. Sorry for the crappiness of the main images - they were taken on my phone because I forgot the camera...duh!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me, I ♥ reading your comments.